3.6.10 // THE POWER OF YOUTH


"We have a powerful potential in our youth, and we must have the courage to change old ideas and practices so that we may direct their power toward good ends." --Mary McLeod Bethune

3.5.10
3.5.10
3.5.10

It's so hard to blow bubbles with sugar free gum. Too bad we aren't born with unlimited baby teeth to chew sugary treats with.

3.5.10

SHIRT // it was my mom's.. she's a big bruce fan
CARDIGAN // thrifted
SKIRT // thrifted
TIGHTS // target
SHOES // target
HAT // gifted
SUNGLASSES // thrifted
CAT // meow

I thought that a Bruce Springsteen shirt would be appropriate for post about youth because so many of The Boss' songs are about the struggles and dreams of a young man. This shirt actually belonged to my mom back in the 80s. She got it at a concert that she went to with my dad in a life before my existence.

I've been thinking about the power of youth for a while now.. maybe a year or so. It's a funny thing. Young people have so much energy and are so eager to produce meaningful lives, but they don't always know how. We're sort of like dodo birds in that way - we have these wings, but don't know how to fly.

I often ask myself what types of stories I'll have to tell my grandchildren someday. Will they be mildly interesting and full of what-ifs or will they be extraordinary and challenging.. the stuff that adventures are made of. I'm aiming for the latter. I think that all young people hope to live lives that stand out from the crowd, but still not everyone does. For those young people who do use their power for good, there is a secret that I've heard of. It's been passed down from people who were once young. They couldn't have possibly learned it as young people.. it's wisdom that can only be gathered in hindsight. It's seen in history books in the form of sit-ins and protests and rallies and it is this:

the power of youth

--Pearl Sydenstricker Buck

So, here's the question I keep asking myself.. What will you do with your power? I think I'll see if this dodo bird can fly.

3 comments:

  1. I love your photos and that skirt is fantsatic :) Red looks great on you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that quote.

    The poem in my post is actually a song by the Great Lake Swimmers. You should check them out, they're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! A while ago, matching tights/skirts/monochrome outfits were all over the blogosphere but I haven't seen it for a while, and I remember why I love them again! Re: the power of youth, I've been thinking about greatness a lot lately, and one of my biggest fears is being mediocre... but I think the moment you begin to doubt what you're doing is the moment you let yourself become mediocre. It's making my whole choosing-a-college-major thing really difficult, but it's kind of exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! Each and every one means so much!

doodles adventures connecticut california photos interviews montana road trips creative dream friends music birthday illustration thrifted art book doodle video ERMAHGERD animation gif inspiration movies neckache of the month roadtrip nation trailer yeti 25 before 26 christmas decor goals growing up hand lettering thoughts update vegan artist brooklyn burgers cartoon crafts daniel johnston design diy great food truck race hairphabet illustrator interview lipdub mail order interview merry christmas moving muppets music videos new york outfits party puppet rv seabirds ukulele vintage volvo zeiss ikon cantina 26 before 27 60s 8mm accessories adam adhd adventure time adventures california advice artist's community awkward family portrait baking band beards boots calendar car carly correa cat challenges chinese new year chris piascik chrysa koukoura coffee color therapy comics cooking costumes count hipstula craig bartlett dad disneyland duckie electrogirl elvis etsy faces fashion favorites fred seibert freelance french pop ghost graphic novel griffith park hair clip hallmark halloween hey arnold hipster hipsters hire me home hot dog hurricane sandy inner children united jackson hole jamie jazz age lawn party jeff gill jess smart smiley jim henson julia pott keith haring life lingo lip sync list loopy los angeles martin luther king day memphis modern amusement motivation my story nail art neighbor new year news nicktoons nicole daddona odd jobs penelope gazin picture day pipe play-doh playlist pottery prayer pretty in pink prints public access puppets quirky quote recipe right now roadtrip nation rv sadwich salvation mountain sara m. lyon sarah saul bass scribble sedona simon's hot dogs slab city slumber party song songs space mountain spice girls stop motion store strange string bean man style tea the beatles third eye threadless toms travel tshirt ugly face contest vanessa davis videos wannabe winter wisdom work yeti yeti studio youtube zine
© Nicole Daddona 2010-2013