ERMAHGERD! DUCKIE


duckie

Remember Duckie from "Pretty In Pink"?!  Well, he's this week's ERMAHGERD!  Every Monday I'll be posting an ERMAHGERD! feature on some totally awesome person, place, thing or food (this may turn into a food feature.. not gonna make any promises otherwise because food is just freaking amazing)... all for your enjoyment!

I decided to start this feature with one my fondest movie character crushes (yes, Marty McFly and Max from "A Goofy Movie" are on this list too.. don't hate..) - the one and only duck man from the fabulous film "Pretty In Pink".  I first saw "Pretty In Pink" as a sophomore in high school.  Seeing this one film began a love affair with the 80's that's yet to pass.  I must have watched "Pretty In Pink" at least 97 times between the ages of 15 and 18.  I fell in love with the story.. poor girl meets rich guy and their love beats all the high school odds... but more importantly, I fell in love with the lovesick, effortlessly cool, forever loyal Duckie.

There's actually one scene in the movie that was really the main reason why I rewatched the movie so many times.  Now, if you're a Duckie fan too then you know exactly what scene I'm talking about without anymore explanation.  If you haven't seen "Pretty In Pink" or you're not a huge Duckie fan like me or you're a just not into John Cryer because of the whole Two and a Half Men thing, hopefully you can still appreciate the magnificence of the clip that I'm about to show you because of the Otis Redding factor, if nothing else.  Check it out!


This one scene caused me to practically wear out my local video stores VHS copy of "Pretty In Pink".  I couldn't get enough of it.  Actually, I still kinda can't - no lie, I watched the clip three times before posting it here!  There's just something special about dear ol' Duckie.  Maybe it's his daper style.  GERD, do I love it!  

"Pretty in Pink" (1986)
duckie
duckie
duckie

Also, how adorable is John Cryer here?!

duckie

Or maybe it's because Duckie is hilarious even when he's not trying to be.

duckie

I always wondered why Andie picked stupid Blane (sick!) over wonderful Duckie.  Duckie was so good to her and it was evident that he really loved her.  Blane just had a nice car and weird bulging eyes.  Poor Duckie.  I always feel for characters that pine endlessly over the thing that they can never seem to have.  Probably because that's how I spent most of my adolescent years... hopelessly infatuated with guys that didn't know that I existed.  I know how you feel, duck man.. all too well.

duckie

So, I hope that filled your Duckie cup to overflowing capacity!  Until next week.. I'm off like a dirty shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Each and every one means so much!

doodles adventures connecticut california photos interviews montana road trips creative dream friends music birthday illustration thrifted art book doodle video ERMAHGERD animation gif inspiration movies neckache of the month roadtrip nation trailer yeti 25 before 26 christmas decor goals growing up hand lettering thoughts update vegan artist brooklyn burgers cartoon crafts daniel johnston design diy great food truck race hairphabet illustrator interview lipdub mail order interview merry christmas moving muppets music videos new york outfits party puppet rv seabirds ukulele vintage volvo zeiss ikon cantina 26 before 27 60s 8mm accessories adam adhd adventure time adventures california advice artist's community awkward family portrait baking band beards boots calendar car carly correa cat challenges chinese new year chris piascik chrysa koukoura coffee color therapy comics cooking costumes count hipstula craig bartlett dad disneyland duckie electrogirl elvis etsy faces fashion favorites fred seibert freelance french pop ghost graphic novel griffith park hair clip hallmark halloween hey arnold hipster hipsters hire me home hot dog hurricane sandy inner children united jackson hole jamie jazz age lawn party jeff gill jess smart smiley jim henson julia pott keith haring life lingo lip sync list loopy los angeles martin luther king day memphis modern amusement motivation my story nail art neighbor new year news nicktoons nicole daddona odd jobs penelope gazin picture day pipe play-doh playlist pottery prayer pretty in pink prints public access puppets quirky quote recipe right now roadtrip nation rv sadwich salvation mountain sara m. lyon sarah saul bass scribble sedona simon's hot dogs slab city slumber party song songs space mountain spice girls stop motion store strange string bean man style tea the beatles third eye threadless toms travel tshirt ugly face contest vanessa davis videos wannabe winter wisdom work yeti yeti studio youtube zine
© Nicole Daddona 2010-2013